Get health cover

It is a requirement of your student visa that you have current Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire time you are in Australia. Family members who are with you in Australia must also be covered.

OSHC will help you to pay for any medical and hospital care you may need while studying in Australia, including:

  • out of hospital medical treatment
  • in hospital medical treatment
  • prescription medicines
  • emergency ambulance transport.

When to buy Overseas Health Cover

You will need to purchase your OSHC cover before you apply for your student visa because you'll be required to give your policy number as part of the visa application.

Getting your cover

Allianz Care is Charles Sturt's preferred provider for OSHC and we recommend you take membership with them. You can either arrange cover directly or Charles Sturt can assist you in obtaining membership.

You can also compare other providers

Please note that dental and optical is not included in OSHC basic cover. If you require dental or optical cover, be sure to ask your provider to include this in your OSHC quotation.

Finding a doctor

To see a doctor for non-emergency medical treatment, you need to make an appointment with a general practitioner (GP). A GP is a medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients.  GPs can also prescribe medicines.

To see a specialist doctor and for pathology or x-rays you will have to see a GP first for a referral.

Check your OSHC provider's website for direct billing GP's. You can also find a doctor through Allianz.

More information

  • Payment for services

    Unless you see a GP who will bill your OSHC provider directly, you will be required to pay the entire bill at the time of service. Check with your OSHC provider for doctors who bill directly. Also, check with your GP about payment when you make an appointment.

    If you pay at the time of service you will then need to claim reimbursement from your OSHC provider. Submit the paid invoice and claim form to your OSHC provider. Usually, only part of the amount you paid will be reimbursed to you.  See your OSHC policy information for what is covered and how much can be paid back for each type of medical service.

  • Making a claim to Allianz OSHC

    Allianz Global Assistance developed Australia's first direct billing network to provide you with an 'instant' claiming option involving minimal out-of-pocket expenses. Allianz Global Assistance has direct billing agreements with a growing network of more than 400 medical providers nationally. At these centres, you are able to present your membership card and valid photo ID to have your claim submitted directly to Allianz Global Assistance for payment.

    In many cases, this means you have no out-of-pocket medical expenses and no claim form to fill in.

    Where a medical provider charges more than the Medicare Benefit Scheme rate, you will receive an invoice for this non-claimable amount only. This is referred to as the co-payment or gap fee, which is not covered under OSHC.

    Find a full list of direct billing providers

    To contact our dedicated OSHC members team head to:

    Phone: 13 6742
    Postal: Allianz Global Assistance OSHC, Locked Bag 3001, Toowong, QLD, 4066

  • Renewing your OSHC

    It is a condition of your student visa that your OSHC remains valid for your whole course. If there are changes in your visa duration (e.g. visa extension) or your family joins you in Australia, you will need to extend your coverage.

    If your OSHC coverage expires and you do not renew it your visa can be cancelled.  Also, if your coverage expires and you need medical treatment you could also be left with large bills to pay.

    We can help process OSHC renewals through our preferred insurer, Allianz Global Assistance.

    There are two ways of renewing your Allianz OSHC:

    • Pay the cashier the amount due and we will process your renewal.
    • Pay Allianz directly.

    If you choose to use an OSHC provider other than Allianz, you will need to pay your provider directly to renew.

  • Extras Coverage

    OSHC does not cover dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you want coverage for these types of treatments you will need to purchase additional cover. Check with your OSHC provider to see if they provide extras coverage or you can search for general treatment cover with any Australian health insurer (see

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?