Get health cover (OSHC)

You will need to purchase your OSHC cover before you apply for your student visa. You'll be required to give your policy number as part of the visa application.

It is a condition of your student visa that your Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) remains valid for the duration of your student VISA. Please contact the department of home affairs to review all conditions associated with your visa. Family members who are with you in Australia must also be covered.

OSHC will help you to pay for any medical and hospital care you may need while studying in Australia, including:

  • out of hospital medical treatment
  • in hospital medical treatment
  • prescription medicines
  • emergency ambulance transport.

Getting your cover

Allianz Care Australia is Charles Sturt's preferred provider for OSHC and we recommend you take membership with them. You can either arrange cover directly or Charles Sturt can assist you in obtaining membership.

You can also compare other providers.

Please note that dental and optical is not included in OSHC basic cover. If you require dental or optical cover, be sure to ask your provider to include this in your OSHC quotation.

Finding a doctor

To see a doctor for non-emergency medical treatment, you need to make an appointment with a general practitioner (GP). A GP is a medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients.  GPs can also prescribe medicines.

To see a specialist doctor and for pathology or x-rays you will have to see a GP first for a referral.

Check your OSHC provider's website for direct billing GP's. You can also find a doctor through Allianz Care Australia.

More information

Unless you see a GP who will bill your OSHC provider directly, you will be required to pay the entire bill at the time of service. Check with your OSHC provider for doctors who bill directly. Also, check with your GP about payment when you make an appointment.

If you pay at the time of service you will then need to claim reimbursement from your OSHC provider. Submit the paid invoice and claim form to your OSHC provider. Usually, only part of the amount you paid will be reimbursed to you.  See your OSHC policy information for what is covered and how much can be paid back for each type of medical service.

Allianz Care Australia developed Australia's first direct billing network to provide you with an 'instant' claiming option involving minimal out-of-pocket expenses. Allianz Care Australia has direct billing agreements with a growing network of more than 950 medical providers nationally. At these centres, you are able to present your membership card and valid photo ID to have your claim submitted directly to Allianz Care Australia for payment.

In many cases, this means you have no out-of-pocket medical expenses and no claim form to fill in.

Where a medical provider charges more than the Medicare Benefit Scheme rate, you will receive an invoice for this non-claimable amount only. This is referred to as the co-payment or gap fee, which is not covered under OSHC.

Find a full list of direct billing providers

To contact our dedicated OSHC members team head to:

Phone: 13 6742
Postal: Allianz Partners Australia, Locked Bag 3001, Toowong, QLD, 4066

It is a condition of your student visa that your OSHC remains valid for your whole course. If there are changes in your visa duration (e.g., visa extension) or your family joins you in Australia, you will need to extend your coverage. It is up to you to look after and modify your OHSC coverage as it relates to your circumstances.

If your OSHC coverage expires and you do not renew it your visa can be cancelled.  Also, if your coverage expires and you need medical treatment you could also be left with large bills to pay.

To renew your cover through our preferred insurer, Allianz Care Australia you will need to use their mobile/tablet app.

If you choose to use an OSHC provider other than Allianz Care Australia, you will need to pay your provider directly to renew.

OSHC does not cover dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you want coverage for these types of treatments you will need to purchase additional cover. Check with your OSHC provider to see if they provide extras coverage or you can search for general treatment cover with any Australian health insurer (see