Get your visa

You must have a valid student visa to study in Australia. Australia’s Department of Home Affairs (DHA) issues visas for entry into Australia. It is your responsibility to have a valid passport and visa while studying in Australia.

Remember, immigration processes can take time so make sure you apply as soon as possible and leave plenty of time between applying and flying out.

Read more information about student visas, including visa requirements and the application process.

Get help

You may want to use Migration and Education Agents to help you with your visa application.

  • Migration agents

    You can choose to use a migration agent to help you submit your visa application and communicate with DHA on your behalf.

    Find a list of registered Migration Agents

  • Education agents

    Education agents are experienced in making international student applications and applying for visas.

Visa conditions

Your student visa comes with a number of conditions. It is important to know what those conditions are and what you need to do to comply. Breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa.

Note that different visa conditions apply to you and your family members.

Some conditions are mandatory conditions, which mean that all student visa holders have these conditions. Some are discretionary conditions because only some students have these conditions on their visas.

Your visa will have a list of condition numbers. With these numbers you can look up which conditions apply to you on the Department of Home Affairs website. You must comply with all conditions of your visas.

This summary should be read in conjunction with the Department of Home Affairs website and the Charles Sturt University Academic Regulations

As an international student, you must comply with the conditions of your student visa. 

These conditions are governed by the Migration Regulations and are enforced by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

While it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with your visa conditions, the University must also monitor your enrolment and notify DHA of any breaches. DHA may cancel your student visa if you are found to have breached your visa conditions.

Conditions of your study

  • 1. Maintain enrolment and course progress

    You must be enrolled in a full-time registered course at university. 

    At Charles Sturt this means you should study 4 subjects per session (in sessions 1 & 2). You are also expected to complete your course by the end date  on your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE).

    You should not reduce the number of subjects you are studying unless you have been approved to do so. This can only be done in special circumstances in consultation with your International Student Liaison Officer and Course Coordinator. This must be approved by Student Administration.

    A reduced subject load may result in the need to take up additional subjects in future sessions to complete your course in the time frame specified on your student visa.

    The Australian Government only allows the University to extend your eCOE in limited circumstances. If you think that you will not be able to complete your course by the date on your eCoE, see your International Student Liaison Officer immediately so that an appropriate intervention strategy can be implemented.

    If you do not abide by these requirements you may not be able to extend your student visa to complete your course.

  • 2. Achieve satisfactory results

    All students at Charles Sturt are subject to rules and policies government satisfactory academic progress. 

    As an international student, if you are excluded from your course because of unsatisfactory academic progress the University must notify DHA and your student visa may be cancelled.

    Find out more about the reasons a student can be excluded.

  • 3. Pay Tuition Fees on time

    It is a requirement of your student visa that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and to pay for your studies in Australia. 

    If you do not pay your tuition fees on time the University may cancel your enrolment and notify DHA. This may lead to cancellation of your student visa.

    Check your account information online. This will show you if you owe any money to the University.

    It is your responsibility to ensure all your fees are paid on time to avoid late fees. Late fees apply if money is owed past the due date.

    If you are going to be temporarily delayed in paying your fees, contact Student Central to see if it is possible to get more time to pay.  If your delay relates to fees for on-campus accommodation, contact Student Central. If you have trouble paying your fees, please contact your International Student Liaison Officer.

    You will not receive your final grades at the end of the session if you owe any money on your account (including library fees). Once you pay the amount due, your grades will be released to you.

  • 4. Notify the University of any change of address

    You must notify us of your current address and keep this updated by managing your personal details online.

    It is a visa condition that you notify us of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of:

    • arriving in Australia
    • changing your address.

    Manage your details

  • 5. Overseas Health Cover

    You must keep your Overseas Health Cover current for the entire duration of your studies. 

    See OSHC or see your International Student Liaison Officer for more information.

  • 6. Other responsibilities

    There may be other conditions attached to your student visa. Check your visa and the Department of Home Affairs website to see which conditions apply to you.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?