What to pack
As soon as you decide to study in Australia, we recommend you prepare a folder of official documents (and official English translations of these documents) to bring with you.
Documents you should bring
When you prepare your folder, keep it in your carry-on luggage. The folder should contain:
- Your valid passport and student visa documents.
- Offer letter from Charles Sturt University.
- Receipts of payments (e.g. tuition fees, OSHC, bank statements etc.)
- Original or certified copies of your a IELTS test results, academic transcripts and qualifications.
- Other personal identification documents, e.g. birth certificate, ID card, driver’s licence, proof of citizenship, marriage or change of name certificate (if relevant).
- Documents relating to credit cards and banking.
- Receipts for good (e.g. computers, cameras) you may bring with you to Australia to assist with customs duty/sales tax assessment.
- Medical and immunisation records, prescriptions and letter from your Doctor (English translation of prescription medication is also helpful) and optical prescriptions.
- If you are travelling with your family you will need to include their documents as well.
Making copies of your important documents
You should scan or make copies of your important documents and email them to yourself and/or give them to loved ones.
This will give you access to key information from anywhere in the world, and may make it easier to arrange replacement documents if your printed copies are lost or damaged.
To save you buying these items if you need them, you may want to bring them with you.
You can find out more from the Australian Government TravelSECURE website.
- Any books/materials you want to bring for your studies
- Dictionary (bilingual)
- Swimming costume
- Sporting equipment
- Spare glasses or contact lenses
- Photos and contacts of friends and family
- Small gifts from home
- Alarm clock
- Bath towels, bed sheets, pillow cases
- Small sewing kit
For electronic items, the standard voltage in Australia is 240V. You should only bring only electrical appliances that are 240 volts.
- Laptop or tablet
- Smart phone
- Music (iPod, CDs)
- International travel adapter
What to pack in carry-on luggage
There are a few items you may want to pack in your carry-on luggage.
- Arrival information about pick up arrangements, accommodation and emergency contacts list
- Document folder
- Australian currency
- Change of clothing
You may want to pack things like your toothbrush and deodorant. For liquids, please be aware that they must be:
- less than 100ml
- stored in a clear plastic bag.