Introduction to Bioscience
Prepare for your science degree by gaining a solid foundation in human bio-science. This subject covers the language of bio-sciences, an introduction to clinically relevant mathematics, physics and chemistry and an introduction to the human body.
Topics covered in this subject include:
- A review of basic mathematical principles relevant to biomedical sciences (e.g. measurement dimensions, unit conversions, metric system, scientific notation, interpreting data tables and graphs);
- Foundations of chemistry including elements and atoms, ion formation, molecule formation and bonding principles, chemical reactions, bioenergetics, types and characteristics of molecules including organic and inorganic compounds;
- An introduction to physics covering concepts of force, pressure, flow, resistance, elastance and compliance;
- Structure and function of cells and their organisation into tissues, organs and organ systems; and,
- Primary structure and function of each of the body systems and associated terminology.
You will complete 40 hours of online self-paced learning with support from your coordinator. Upon successful completion of this subject, you should:
- Be able to correctly use common medical and anatomical terminology;
- Be able to explain basic chemical concepts and perform mathematical calculations relevant to bio-science; and,
- Be able to explain the primary structures and function of the body systems.
|Session||CRN||Subject code||Subject name||Mode||Campus/Location||Term begins||Application closing date||Term ends|
|202315||301||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Distance||Orange||31/10/2022||27/01/2023||28/04/2023|
|202345||191||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Distance||Orange||13/02/2023||2/06/2023||11/08/2023|
|202375||278||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Internal||Orange||19/06/2023||15/09/2023||15/12/2023|
Study material: 40 hrs
Subject Coordinator: Dr Gayle Petersen
This subject will be useful if you're studying:
- Allied Health and Pharmacy
- Exercise and Sports Sciences
- Medical Science and Dentistry
- Nursing, Midwifery and Indigenous Health