Prepare for your science degree by gaining a solid foundation in human bio-science. This subject covers the language of bio-sciences, an introduction to clinically relevant mathematics, physics and chemistry and an introduction to the human body.
Topics covered in this subject include:
- A review of basic mathematical principles relevant to biomedical sciences (e.g. measurement dimensions, unit conversions, metric system, scientific notation, interpreting data tables and graphs);
- Foundations of chemistry including elements and atoms, ion formation, molecule formation and bonding principles, chemical reactions, bioenergetics, types and characteristics of molecules including organic and inorganic compounds;
- An introduction to physics covering concepts of force, pressure, flow, resistance, elastance and compliance;
- Structure and function of cells and their organisation into tissues, organs and organ systems; and,
- Primary structure and function of each of the body systems and associated terminology.
You will complete 40 hours of online self-paced learning with support from your coordinator. Upon successful completion of this subject, you should:
- Be able to correctly use common medical and anatomical terminology;
- Be able to explain basic chemical concepts and perform mathematical calculations relevant to bio-science; and,
- Be able to explain the primary structures and function of the body systems.
|Session||CRN||Subject code||Subject name||Mode||Campus/Location||Term begins||Application closing date||Term ends|
|202215||301||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Distance||Online||1/11/21||28/1/22||29/4/22|
|202245||191||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Distance||Online||14/2/22||3/6/22||12/8/22|
|202275||278||SSS025||Introduction To Bioscience||Distance||Online||20/6/22||16/9/22||16/12/22|
Please note: You can start any time to suit you between Term start date and the close of applications.
Study material: 40 hrs
Subject Coordinator: Dr Gayle Petersen
This subject will be useful if you're studying:
- Allied Health and Pharmacy
- Exercise and Sports Sciences
- Medical Science and Dentistry
- Nursing, Midwifery and Indigenous Health