We continually strive to improve the quality of services to students and our regional communities. If you believe we can do better and can give us some feedback, we invite you to submit a complaint so we can investigate and take action if required.

Students are encouraged to firstly take the complaint/appeal up with the other stakeholder to try and work the matter out informally.

For example, if you have a complaint about:

  • a specific subject coordinator, speak to them first and then if you are not satisfied, contact the Head of School.
  • a Faculty contact the Faculty Executive Officer or Dean.
  • an Administrative area contact the Manager of the area, Director or Executive Director. For example - a complaint about exams should go to the Manager of the Exams Office.
  • a staff member contact the Manager in authority of the Faculty or Administrative area.

If after going through the informal procedure the matter is still not resolved, you can then also seek advice or assistance from a Student Advocate.

How to make a formal complaint

If you have a concern about academic, administrative or support services during your time at Charles Sturt, you may wish to make a complaint.

You can lodge a complaint via the Office of Governance and Corporate Affairs.

Make a complaint

Things you might want to know:


What happens after I make a complaint?

  • In the first instance, there will be an initial assessment to determine whether the matter can proceed to an investigation and you will hear back from the University within 10 working days.
  • If the complaint proceeds to the next stage, a case manager will meet with you within 5 working days of the initial assessment to investigate the complaints.
  • After the investigation, recommendations are to be made based on the evidence. You will know the outcome of these within 10 working days of the recommendations being finalised.

When can I expect to hear back?

There are three main steps to our complaint process and they will vary based on the complexity. You should hear back from us at least within 10 working days after each step.


How can I contact the University Ombudsman directly?

You can contact the University Ombudsman.


Where can I go if I’m not happy with the recommendations

If you believe you have been treated unfairly, you can escalate your concerns to the NSW ombudsman.


How can I make a complaint about student misconduct?

Any person who suspects a student has committed misconduct may report it. When it is reported, the Appointed Officer will consider if the alleged misconduct falls within the Student Misconduct Rule.

Student misconduct


How can I report sexual assault and harassment

  • If you have experienced a sexual assault or sexual harassment at Charles Sturt, you are encouraged to report it.  This can be done anonymously if you choose. In an emergency, call 000 or contact campus security on 1800 931 633 or by using Charles Sturt Campus Alerts or making a report
  • Regardless of your decision to report, we encourage you to seek support.

Sexual assault, harassment and trauma