Graduate with a lower award

You may be eligible to graduate from your current degree with a lower award within an articulated set.

You can find out whether or not your course is part of an articulated set in the University Handbook for the year that you commenced study with us.

Charles Sturt offers a range of Awards:

  • certificates
  • diplomas
  • bachelors
  • honours
  • masters
  • doctorates.

Before you decide to cancel your studies, we recommend checking if you can graduate with a lower level award.

Applying to graduate with a lower award is the same whether or not you want to continue studying for the higher degree or end your course and graduate at a lower level.

For example, if you are enrolled in a Bachelor's degree you may be eligible to graduate sooner with a Certificate or Diploma.

Seek the advice of your Course Coordinator or Course Director to check if you're eligible. They might also be able to suggest some alternatives too, such as:

  • you might only need to complete two subjects to graduate with a lower award, or
  • you might be able to transfer credit to another course.

If you don't want to continue with your current course and elect to exit with the lower award, there is no fee to exit with a lower award.

However, if you wish to continue with your current course and graduate with the lower award, there may be a fee.

Your options

Option 1

Continue your studies in the higher-level course

Your request must be submitted before the exam period of the session that you expect to meet the course requirements for the lower award.

Example: suppose you are enrolled in the final subjects required to receive a Graduate Certificate in session 2. In that case, you must submit your form before the start of the exam period for session 2.

Option 2

Exit from the higher-level course(s) and end your study program

Your request may be submitted during your course of study, depending on meeting eligibility requirements.

Example: suppose you have withdrawn from your course and want to apply to graduate with a lower award. In that case, you need to apply to reactivate your enrolment. This must be done within 12 months of your withdrawal from the course.

How to apply