Defer your course

Deferring your offer means you intend to study with Charles Sturt University, but you would like to change the start date of your course.


Your eligibility to defer your course depends on:

  • the course you're studying
  • whether you have already accepted your offer
  • if you have transferred to another course
  • if the census date has past (you may be charged fees).

You can learn more about how to defer your course on our My Offer website.

Courses that cannot be deferred

  • Associate Degree in Policing Practice
  • Bachelor of Dental Science
  • Bachelor of Arts and Social Science (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Port Macquarie Campus only)
  • Bachelor of Nursing (Port Macquarie Campus only)
  • Bachelor of Oral Health (Therapy / Hygiene)
  • Bachelor of Paramedicine (Port Macquarie Campus only)
  • Bachelor of Physiotherapy
  • Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Biology / Bachelor of Veterinary Science
  • Doctor of Medicine
  • All Commonwealth Supported places
  • Graduate Diploma Clinical Practice (Paramedic)
  • Master of Clinical Psychology
  • Master of Psychological Practice
  • Master of Professional Psychology
  • Master of Speech Pathology
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Implantology
  • Postgraduate Diploma of Psychology
  • Complementary Study (Cross Institutional Study)
  • Fast Track- Single Subject Study
  • Single Subject Study
  • Study Link

All Higher Degree by Research courses can be deferred.

  • University Certificate in Workforce Essentials

Maximum length

You can defer your course for up to 12 months and you can only defer once.

Extensions beyond 12 months

If you have already deferred for the full 12 months and want to extend this, you can reapply to study your course once you are ready to start.

Alternatives to deferring

If you're not eligible to defer your course, there are some alternatives depending on your circumstances.