The Groups tool allows you to organise students into groups of any size. You can provide communication and collaboration tools that only Group members can access.
Types of Groups
Groups can be created one at a time or in sets. Groups can be designated as Self-Enrol, allowing students to add themselves to a Group, or Manual Enroll, where you can assign students to a Group.
Once created, each Group has its own space in the course/subject to work together. You can allow individual Group members to personalise their Group space with personal modules, such as My Calendar and Library Search. You can also enable an assortment of tools to help students collaborate.
Tools that you can use in a Group
Tools that can be made available to a Group include:
- Blogs: In the Group area, all members of a Group can create entries for the same Blog, building upon one another. Any course/subject member can read and comment on a Group Blog, but cannot make Entries if they are not a member of the Group. You can also select the grade option for Group Blogs.
- Collaboration: Users within the Group can create and attend chat sessions and virtual classroom sessions.
- Discussion Board: Users within the Group can create and manage their own forums.
- Email: Users within the Group can email individual members or the entire Group.
- File Exchange: Group members and the subject coordinator can add and share files in this area.
- Journals: When used in the Group area, all members of a Group can view each other's entries, but the Group Journal can only be viewed by the Group and the subject coordinator. You can also select the grade option for Journals.
- Tasks: Users within the Group can create Tasks that are distributed to all Group members.
- Wikis: Users within the Group can edit their Group Wiki. All students within the Course can view a Group Wiki. The subject coordinator can view and edit a Group Wiki and can also select the grade option for Group Wikis.